Customer was running PeopleSoft HRMS 8.8 (HR, PY and T&L) which had been out of Extended support since December, 2011. To stay up with current functionality and gain much needed product support for tax updates, patches and bundles customer decided to move forward with an upgrade to PeopleSoft 9.2 in 2013. This would give them an opportunity to eliminate unwieldy customizations, streamline workflows, and introduce more user-friendly functionality.
The primary focus of this project was a full solution cycle upgrade of PeopleSoft HCM v8.8 to v9.2 and PeopleTools v8.48 to v8.53. The modules to be upgraded included Core HR, Payroll and Time & Labor. Implement Talent Acquisition Manager and Candidate Gateway. Phase two will include the implementation of the Base Benefits, Benefits Administration and eBenefits modules.
- Implement “vanilla” (no-customizations) version of PeopleSoft HCM 9.2.
- Maximize process automation, reduce manual steps and increase productivity.
- Implement Talent Acquisition Manager (TAM) / Candidate Gateway (CG).
- An extremely aggressive target golive date.
- No direct upgrade path from PeopleSoft HCM 8.8 to 9.2.
- Huge architecture changes from PeopleSoft 8.8 to 9.2.
- Customizations implemented on a piecemeal basis with little or no documentation.
The ERPA Solution:
ERPA implemented a two-step upgrade process, first from the PeopleSoft HCM v8.8 to v9.0, and then from v9.0 to v9.2, using Oracle-recommended upgrade tools. Additionally, we utilized some of our proprietary tools to capture customer’s security structures in 8.8 and revise them for 9.2 based on the client’s requirements. Our detailed documentation coupled with the continuous involvement of the client’s business and IT teams at every stage of the upgrade process enabled complete and timely knowledge transfer. We also conducted HCM 9.2 previews sessions of the application to avoid any requirement gaps and to maximize the client’s utilization of the new product features. ERPA team organized multiple user sessions to get customer accustomed to the new application and interface. Also, we delivered detailed and comprehensive user training programs by deploying the ‘Train the Trainer’ approach and utilizing Oracle UPK. Lastly we initiated a post go live stabilization phase to closely monitor the system for the first four weeks in production.
- Business Benefits:
- An integrated and streamlined Financial Supply Chain Management system upgraded to PeopleSoft FSCM v9.2 that leveraged new features to reduce customizations and deliver higher performance.
- An integrated and streamlined HR system upgraded to PeopleSoft HCM v9.2 that leveraged
new features to reduce customizations and deliver higher performance.
- An automated, portal-based talent acquisition management system that eliminated inefficiencies in the older processes and facilitated employee employer interactions.
- The associated upgrade to People Tools v8.53 enabled features like Secure Enterprise Search,
Pivot Grids, Embedded Help, Life Cycle Management, Work Centers and Dashboards.
Superior HR workflow control and execution through the implementation of configurable
alerts and workflow notifications available since PeopleSoft HCM v9.0.
- Eliminated paper based rosters and enabled workflow for time approvals significantly reducing time entry.
Additionally, customer benefited from functionality that was released after v8.8 such as page
refreshes, Advance Search, Type-Ahead Search, and Mouse Over pop-up pages.
- PeopleSoft HCM v8.8 to v9.2 Upgrade
- PeopleTools v8.48 to v8.53 Upgrade